August 20, 2012

Vintage Shadowbox

I found these awesome pictures at an antique store this summer in Asheville. It makes me a little sad knowing that they belonged to a family somewhere and now they are in a strangers hand. I feel that way when I see bronzed baby shoes, or handmade cradles, or any other sweet little treasure that I would never have let go if they belonged to me.

Oh my, look at that sweet baby's face. And that gown! How adorable. The girls look young, maybe 18 or so. Well, now they are mine and I am turning them into not so spooky Halloween crafts.

I gathered some Halloween stuff from my stash to embellish them: Some stickers, some background paper, and some stamps.





A little hat here, a little message and a couple of crows there. And of course, what witch wouldn't be complete without a broom. (all from my sticker collection)

I decided to make a shadow box out of this baby witch. Oh how cute is she! I had a star box left over from some Christmas crafts last year, and thought the lid would be perfect for my shadow box.

I added a polka dot background paper to the inside, painted the inside edges black, and glittered the outside edges with a vintage silver glitter, then added my little witch. She was actually too large to fit inside the star, so I glued her to the edges. I added some glittered letters to spell OCT, a sparkly lizard (every witch has one of those), some star garland, a black and white cupcake paper flattened out, a piece of black netting and a spooky skeleton hand from the Dollar store. You can't see the glittered outside edges in this picture, but it looks stunning!
I made sure the embellishments could be removed without damaging the picture.

Slowly but surely, my decor is changing with the addition of these little orange and black projects. Don't be scared! It will be full on Halloween in my house in 2 more weeks. Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback... let me know what you think.