September 21, 2010

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I think we all have claims to "fame" or brief moments in our lives when our paths crossed with celebrities. I've had a few myself. When I was in my 20's (a hundred years ago) I went to Disney World with my best friend Terri. As we crossed over from one area to another, we ran face into Lyle Waggoner and his family. Remember him from the Carol Burnett Show? I know, I know. It was 1970 something and he was a hottie then. We squealed like little girls and turned to watch him walk away from us. We even remember what he said... "let's go this way." LOL
Another moment was on a flight back from San Diego to Atlanta. I was riding in first class and was seated directly behind Bob Hope and his lovely wife Dolores. I actually got to talk to him for a minute and told him how he came to Morocco when I was a child and performed for the troops on the base where we were stationed. He was very sweet. It was hilarious watching the coach stewardess (that's what they were called back then) try to sneak up to first class and talk to them.
Why am I writing all this? Well, today Leonard Skinner passed away. He was the coach at my High School, Robert E. Lee, in Jacksonville and was the inspiration to the group Lynyrd Skynyrd who were all my classmates. Another claim to fame. So here's to you coach and the original members: Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ronnie VanZant, Bob Burns, and a few others whose names have faded with time. I still get shudders with every play of Free Bird. Rock on.

1 comment:

  1. No way! That is way cool, Karol Ann!! I saw them in Hollywood Sportatorium in 1977, just before their fateful plane crash. I get chills too! Love your blog, following!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback... let me know what you think.